Do you find yourself struggling to pull together a room in a way that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing?
Do you think that interior design is all art and no science?
If you answered yes to either or both of these questions, then this is the class for you! In this course, you will learn that you can actually use an easy, systematic approach for creating beautiful and functional designs for the primary rooms in your home, primarily focusing on family and living rooms, dining rooms, and bedrooms. (Please note that this class does not cover kitchen or bath design). This course is primarily lecture based, but does contain activities along the way to help you immediately apply what you've learned, as well as a quiz at the end.
By the end of this beginner course, you will be able to completely design a room end-to-end using a simple 10-step approach. Specifically, you will learn how to:
- Measure a room to maximize the use of your space and select appropriately sized furniture
- Create your ideal floor plan (various sample floor plans are provided)
- Identify your preferred interior design style(s)
- Create a cohesive interior design color scheme
- Select the appropriate sized rug and furniture for a room
- Efficiently shop for furniture online
- Create a layered lighting scheme
- Learn the secret for making off-the-shelf drapes look custom
The ideal student for this course is a person who is interested in creating functional and aesthetically pleasing rooms in their home, but does not already have a lot of knowledge in interior design.
- If you are interested in taking most or all of my courses, I have a recommended order in which to watch them (although it's certainly not required). I would start with "How to Design a Room in 10 Easy Steps" because most of my other courses are in-depth classes of the concepts touched on in this 10 step class. Following the 10 Step Course, I suggest moving on to "How to Use Color Like a Pro", followed by "How to Work with Interior Design Styles Like a Pro", then "How to Use Lighting Design to Transform your Home", and finally "Design is in the Details". My other courses, "How to Use Minimalist Interior Design to Live your Best Life", "Use Eco-friendly, Sustainable Design to Improve Your Life", "How to Design Your Dream Kitchen", and "Everything Small Home Design" are all stand alone classes on specialty topics within interior design, and therefore, can be taken in any order.
- Please be aware that this course, or any of my courses, is not intended to provide all of the knowledge needed to become a professional interior designer. As with any professional field, there is a significant amount of education and/or experience that is needed to achieve competency in this field. My intention with these courses is to provide some solid foundational knowledge to assist either those individuals interested in "DIY" interior design to work on their own projects more effectively, or to provide supplemental education to both interior design students and professionals.
What Students Are Saying
"I've been struggling for years to learn interior design basics. I've bought many books and magazines and attended many courses. I always ended up confused and frustrated, as I didn't know what to do next. That led me to buying more books and magazines. This course is fantastic because not only it teaches you the basics but it also provides a systematic approach to decorating one's home. Thank you!" - Irina R.
“Hands down this is the best class for anyone looking to learn about interior decoration and design: how to actually pull together a room in a straight forward way. Easy to follow, yet a lot of information is covered in a short amount of time. Learning about different styles and the interior design lingo is just not enough for any beginner looking to redesign their home. What sets this class apart is the easy step by step instruction to ensure everything comes together beautifully when decorating a room. Will recommend to my friends and family. Can't wait to get started on my home, room by room!” - Jemma S.
“If you have no idea where to begin designing a room, then get this course! An amazing system is presented into a step by step method...it’s like a plug and play, user friendly, art and a science playbook to interior design! and after watching this course, you could have the design plans for your new room in a matter of hours!" - Brad N.
Hi, I'm Erikka Fogleman, owner of Erikka Dawn Interiors. In addition to designing beautiful and functional interiors for clients, I also teach classes online for interior design enthusiasts, interior design students, and interior design professionals.
Through my classes, I will show you how many areas of interior design can be broken down into simple-to-use processes and formulas, so that you can be successful in creating beautiful rooms all on your own using an easy, systematic approach.
I’ve been designing and redesigning rooms for as long as I can remember – first for myself, then for friends and family, and finally, after graduating from the Interior Design program at the New York Institute of Art and Design, I decided to make it my full-time career. Today, I own my own thriving interior design business. While I would love to see everyone hire an interior designer, I know that it's not feasible or desired by everyone, so I've created easy-to-understand classes to break down the "science" of design. Quite simply because everyone should love their home.
I hope you’ll join me in some or all of my classes, so you, too, can learn how to create your dream home!