How to Use Lighting Design to Transform Your Home
Learn How to Use Lighting in your Interior Design Like a Pro
Have you ever wondered how much light a room really needs?
Have you struggled with determining the right size light fixtures for the various spaces in your home?
Have you ever wondered how interior designers make a room look so much more dramatic through the use of lighting?
If you've ever asked yourself any of these questions, then I encourage you to check out this class! "Lighting Design to Transform your home" is a course focused exclusively on residential lighting design. More specifically, in this class we will cover the following main topics:
- 3 great lighting tricks!
- Why is lighting so important?
- How to effectively use and control both artificial and natural light in your home
- How to use 3 layers of light to elevate your lighting design
- How to choose the right type of light fixtures based on the function of your room
- How to choose the right size light fixtures
- How to place your light fixtures appropriately in your home
- How to hide unsightly table and floor lamp cords
- Use lighting to alter the intensity of colors in your room
- Use lighting to make your room appear larger or smaller than it is
- Use lighting to create a focal point in your room
Near the beginning of this class, you will be encouraged to print out a template that will allow you to build your own customized lighting design plan for any room in your home, via activities you will complete throughout this course.
This is a great course for all levels of individuals who are interested in learning more about how to effectively build their own residential lighting plan. This could also be a great class for interior design students or professionals who are new to the field.
Join me for an adventure into the world of lighting design!
- If you are interested in taking most or all of my courses, I have a recommended order in which to watch them (although it's certainly not required). I would start with "How to Design a Room in 10 Easy Steps" because most of my other courses are in-depth classes of the concepts touched on in this 10 step class. Following the 10 Step Course, I suggest moving on to "How to Use Color Like a Pro", followed by "How to Work with Interior Design Styles Like a Pro", then "How to Use Lighting Design to Transform your Home", and finally "Design is in the Details". My other courses, "How to Use Minimalist Interior Design to Live your Best Life", "Use Eco-friendly, Sustainable Design to Improve Your Life", and "How to Design Your Dream Kitchen" are all stand alone classes on specialty topics within interior design, and therefore, can be taken in any order.
- Please be aware that this course, or any of my courses, is not intended to provide all of the knowledge needed to become a professional interior designer. As with any professional field, there is a significant amount of education and/or experience that is needed to achieve competency in this field. My intention with these courses is to provide some solid foundational knowledge to assist either those individuals interested in "DIY" interior design to work on their own projects more effectively, or to provide supplemental education to both interior design students and professionals.
Hi, I'm Erikka Fogleman, owner of Erikka Dawn Interiors. In addition to designing beautiful and functional interiors for clients, I also teach classes online for interior design enthusiasts, interior design students, and interior design professionals.
Through my classes, I will show you how many areas of interior design can be broken down into simple-to-use processes and formulas, so that you can be successful in creating beautiful rooms all on your own using an easy, systematic approach.
I’ve been designing and redesigning rooms for as long as I can remember – first for myself, then for friends and family, and finally, after graduating from the Interior Design program at the New York Institute of Art and Design, I decided to make it my full-time career. Today, I own my own thriving interior design business. While I would love to see everyone hire an interior designer, I know that it's not feasible or desired by everyone, so I've created easy-to-understand classes to break down the "science" of design. Quite simply because everyone should love their home.
I hope you’ll join me in some or all of my classes, so you, too, can learn how to create your dream home!
StartWhy IS Lighting so Important for your Home? (4:45)
StartWhat is Light Anyway? (3:26)
StartNatural and Artificial Light: Both are Critical to your Design (2:44)
StartLearn your Light Bulbs (4:39)
StartDetermine How Much Light You Need for Your Room (6:36)
StartSpecial Considerations for Tall Ceilings and Dark Rooms
StartActivity #1 - Let's Start Your Lighting Guide! (1:33)
StartTest Yourself on your New Interior Design Lighting Technical Knowledge!
StartAlways Use 3 Layers of Light in Your Home (5:33)
StartCove Lighting - A Good Choice for You?
StartChoose your Light Fixtures based on the Function of your Room (10:45)
StartBacklit Mirrors - All Your Burning Questions Answered
StartChoose the Right Size Light Fixtures for Your Space (5:39)
StartDetermine Your Light Fixture Placement
StartActivity #2 - Let's Create 2 Professional Lighting Plans (11:22)
StartAn Important Word on Lampshades (4:02)
StartHide those Unsightly Light Fixture Cords (5:55)
StartControl your Natural Light: Choose the Right Window Coverings (2:56)
StartControl your Artificial Light: Always use Dimmers! (3:00)
StartPurchase your Lighting: My Favorite Places (1:59)
StartActivity #3 - Continue Working on Your Lighting Guide